The biggest social media platform Facebook just launched a group video chat feature called, “Messenger Room” to counter other video chat app such as Zoom and HouseParty app.
The largest social media platform Facebook explain that Messenger Rooms isn’t a separate app but rather a feature that can be launched from the existing Facebook or Messenger apps. This follows on from the unified Facebook Messenger Desktop app for Windows and macOS that was launched last month.
Facebook Messenger already had video chat functionality, but it was limited both in the total number of people allowed to participate, and also in its requirement that all of them should have a Facebook account.
Features of Facebook Messenger Rooms Group Video Calls
- You can host video chats of up to 50 people
- If you don’t have a Facebook account can still join
- With one click on the link created people can then join the conversation just like ZOOM.
- You can launch a Room from the News Feed composer, Groups, Events, the Messenger inbox Direct’s video chat button, WhatsApp, and Portal.
- Rooms you create through a Facebook Group are open by default to members of that Group.
- You have the ability to choose a virtual background to cover up what’s behind you on a video call, including 360 backgrounds that look different as you move around, plus mood lighting to make you look better on camera.
- The creator of a Messenger Room chooses who can see and join it, and can remove anyone from the call at any time, as well as lock the Room if they don’t want anyone else to enter.
- Messenger Rooms has no time limit
More features coming soon from Facebook, we will be here to give you full details on the Facebook messenger app as we get more.